Copyright © Simply 14
Design by Dzignine
5.22.2008

Friday Five: A Day Early

So, Apple sent the part for my computer today. I was at work, but the tracking site said they had left if with my neighbor. I get home, and they have left it in the office. which is open 9am-5pm. Mon-Fri, and Michael and I work every day from 8am to 5:30pm monday through friday. So, until I get a day off during the week, we're stuck in the smelly ol' computer lab :(

But here's an early edition of Friday Five, to keep my mind of my anger.

1. What were some of the smells and tastes of your childhood? One smell that stands out is the smell of my closet in our old house in MA. My mom had put the head of our bunk beds in it, and made a really cool shelf unit for it. I remember the dusty, somewhat musty smell. I also remember just playing with my tiny knick-knacks till I fell asleep. I don't really have a strong memory of taste, while we had a lot of good food, there was no "Meatloaf Thursday" or anything like that.

2. What did you have as a child that you do not think children today have?
Safety. My mom, while keeping a watchful eye out, didn't really have to worry that a stranger would come in our yard, or on our street while I was riding a bike and kidnap me. Now parents are warned (beyond reason) to never let their kids do anything by themselves. Keep them safe, don't smother 'em!

3. What elementary grade was your favorite? definitely 3rd grade. I had an AMAZING teacher, Mrs. Grey. She was phenomenal. She really got me into reading for fun, not just school. She was so smart, interesting, funny and engaging. She took time to get to know every single one of us in her class. She encouraged us to try new things (I remember our class having a ball during in-door recess, we'd play games, sing loud songs, make crafts, read books. Other classes just sat around for 15 minutes.) We had kept journals in her class, and at the end of the year, she wrote a note to us, to read when we graduated High School. It was just a small congratulations note, but it meant the world to be that she cared enough to remember even just a little about me.

4. What summer do you remember the best as a child?
My childhood summers were always fun. I remember earning enough "Smiley Faces" during the school year to get a trip to Canobie Lake Park (Awesome Amusement Park, totally better than anything down here.) and getting there as soon as it opened, and not leaving till they kicked us out at night. I remember BBQs at both of my grandmother's pools, I remember the awesome memorial day parades (walking forEVER in my "Oreo" baseball uniform) in MA, with firetruck rides and ice cream for the whole town.

5. What one piece of advice would you give to your younger self, and at what age? I
know she sounds out of date, but LISTEN to your mother every once in a while. She's been around longer than you and is probably the only person who wants the absolute best for you. and no, she is not stupid or mean or idiotic or out of touch. She is TRYING, and loves you and give her a well deserved break! I'd proably need that most around 14-15.

0 comments: