Copyright © Simply 14
Design by Dzignine
1.17.2010

Lifestyles of a Human Oven.

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats waiting to hear from lil ole me. :)

My UVA appointment went well. We met my OB/GYN team, the Pediatric Cardiologist and the NICU doctors/nurses. Jake, Grandma and I got to take a tour of the NICU and the PICU (The NICU sends any heart patients to the PICU during recovery, it's also where Evelyn will go for any future surgeries)

After meeting and talking with all these medical professionals, I've come to a conclusion about doctors:

They charge you a lot of money to say "I don't know, we'll have to wait and see." They can't tell me anything definite about the leg/lower surgeries, as they've never dealt with it before. They couldn't tell me a definite amount of heart surgeries because the heart reacts differently to each surgery. They couldn't tell me how long Angelina would be in the NICU as everyone recovers differently, and they may or may not be able to do the actual surgery when they want, etc. etc. etc. Basically too many variables for anyone to plan anything. So that means we have to plan for everything!

Heartwise, Angelina is doing remarkably well for her problems. The doctor didn't notice a whole lot of stress or a lesser blood volume in the heart. However they still couldn't tell which artery went where (to the lungs or to the body) because she has such a strange anatomy. We do know it will be at least two corrective surgeries, possibly three. Even with these surgeries she'll still need to limit her physical activity and be a bit more careful than the average person while exercising. Fun little fact, that until she has her last heart surgery, she'll be a bit blue because of the mixing of oxygen rich blood with carbon dioxide blood. "Our little Smurf" Jake has decided to call her.

The doctors have decided that they much prefer me to go into labor and then do a c-section if necessary (I could go naturally, but baby A would have to decide to move head down, and that doesn't look like it's happening!) They want to let them both grow as much as possible before taking them out. This could change if Angelina's fluids get dangerously low, but she's been pretty good so far with 7cm of fluid instead of the normal 10cm, but it's not an emergency till it gets down to 5cm.

The next UVA appointment is on the 8th of Feb, where I get to have my 506932th ultrasound! Hopfully we'll have more about the kidneys and legs then!

After the UVA trip, Jake and I started to pack up our ever-expanding pile of stuff. We have about 100 million books, enough clothes to stretch from here to california, and more dishes than I know what to do with. (I still can't part with my crepe maker!) How do two people collect so much STUFF? None of it we're able to easily part with. (Why yes, I do need a box full of souvenirs from my Paris/Nancy trip. No I will not throw away my metro tickets or music box.) Half the time I'm tempted to just throw it all away and start over in the new apartment.

As painful as packing is (I can't reach the floor, so often I get to ask Jake to pick something up so I could put it in a box. He's not as amused.) I'm very excited to get our apartment ready for the babies. And to have a washer and dryer. I may be more excited for that than the nursery.

In general news, I've gotten huge. And just when I think I can't get any huger, POP the babies grow and make me feel like I'm stealing lead filled basketballs. They are both very very active, Chucky-Sue (the lower Baby A) likes to do barrel rolls and somersaults, while Angelina is perfectly content to give me heartburn and kick my lungs. (I've noticed she kicks more when I talk more, is she already telling me to shut up??) Other than th stretching pains of being a giant, I feel good! I'm not as stressed about the babies as I was last month, both the doctors and church has helped me calm down and see the bigger picture(s). Now If I can just survive moving, I think we'll be all set for the home stretch to April!!

4 comments:

Unknown says:
at: Jan 17, 2010, 8:20:00 PM said...

I'm so happy that I can stop calling your babies/my grandchildren, Baby A and Baby B! I can start using the names you and Michael have chosen, right?
I can't wait until Valentines weekend to see you as a pregnant woman.
Love you.

Gram & Gramps says:
at: Jan 17, 2010, 9:17:00 PM said...

Thanks for being you and the grown up way you and Michael are handling this special time in your life. we feel our great-grand children are in good hands.Love ya

Gram & Gramps says:
at: Jan 19, 2010, 10:42:00 AM said...

Glad to read about your prespective on the BIG Picture(s). How true -It's easy to get bogged down in the details. Your comment on how much money can be spect to get vague answers is right on the money. The more you spend the vaguer the answer. Take care, enjoy the moment.
love
gramps L.

Anonymous
at: Feb 6, 2010, 3:26:00 PM said...

Well I to but I think the brief should secure more info then it has.